Jul 20, 2011

'I Have Never Been so Contemptous of Govt' – Samad Said

KUALA LUMPUR - National laureate A Samad Said said he had never felt so much contempt for the present government as he was currently.
“Never before I felt so disgusted at the government," Samad told the audience at the launch of the 'Yellow Saturday' campaign at PAS's centre in Taman Melewas last weekend.
 The award-winning veteran poet, affectionately known as Pak Samad among the Malaysian public, described the police's handling of the peaceful demonstrators as ‘bengis’ (fierce), and this he said had led to Malaysians continuously condemning the Barisan Nasional and police brutality.


He hit out at UMNO leaders who defended the police action during the massive rally for electoral reforms called by Bersih on July 9, which saw some 50,000 people defying a lockdown in Kuala Lumpur. 


“Their words have hurt Malaysians deeply and I believe UMNO-BN will be buried in the 13th general election,” he told the crowd.


The 'Yellow Saturday' campaign is among a series of programmes by PAS to maintain public momentum for Bersih. A similar campaign by PAS Youth, called "Ramadan the Clean Month", also aims to organise information sessions and roadshows to explain the importance of fair elections.


Recalling his experience on July 9, Pak Samad said he attempted to pass the Bersih 2.0 memorandum to the Agong at the National Palace which was heavily fortified by the police in a bid to prevent the memorandum from being delivered.


“I waited whole day from morning to deliver the memorandum on behalf of the people, until I was stopped by police about 300 metres away from the National Palace in the afternoon.


"My eyes were hurt due to the tear gas. When I was approached by them (the police and FRU), it was as if they had wanted to devour me,” he said, adding that the Bersih rally was more challenging compared to the protest in 2007 against the government's decision to teach science and mathematics in English, a movement which he spearheaded with other activists.


Nike footwear


Pak Samad said during the rally, he lost his footwear in the fracas that ensued after police attacked protesters with tear gas.


“Not only my sandals, but also my other stuff such as salt, small towel and mineral water which I had brought for my safety," said Pak Samad, who said he had to give up the 'first aid' kit to other protesters affected by tear gas.


"I was walking bare footed for miles. Then, a few youngsters spotted me and one of them offered his Nike shoes, but I declined thinking the pair was just too nice.


"Later, another young man gave me a pair of slippers. I accepted the offer as there was a long walk ahead and many more challenges before we could deliver the memorandum to the Agong. It was bitter and I will never forget it,” he added.


Pak Samad also said he was touched by the unity shown by the youngsters who came from different ethnic backgrounds.


“It was very encouraging. I reminded repeatedly to the young generation that they must be committed and work together to change the country at the 13th general election for the sake of our children,” he said.

Source : HarakahDaily

Save on hotels with HotelsCombined.com

No comments: